Network has big plans despite not having TV rights after '14 RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today Although ESPN will not televise NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races beginning next season, officials said Tuesday the network expects to continue to provide timely content to fans for 2015 and beyond. "I don't think you'll see much of a change," said Rich Feinberg, vice president, motorsports, production for the Bristol, Connecticut-based group. "We obviously won't be doing the races, but in terms of serving the interests of fans with our news and information coverage, we're full-steam ahead." ABC/ESPN ends an eight-year run of NASCAR race coverage at the close of 2014, during which time the company aired the second half of each season's races. FOX returns next year and will continue to air the first half of the season while NBC will replace ABC/ESPN. Races previously aired by TNT in the middle of the year will be split between FOX and NBC groups. With ESPN not a part of the TV package going forward, many have wondered how the network would handle NASCAR news, or if it would abandon the sport altogether. "I can assure those asking the question and all fans out there that we're going to continue to cover NASCAR across all our news and information platforms in a very significant way," Feinberg said. "We don't have rights agreements with many different sports out there, but SportsCenter has an obligation to their fans to cover all sports." Feinberg said recent announcements that will keep former driver Ricky Craven , now an analyst, and reporter Marty Smith in-house is a clear indication that NASCAR remains relevant to the network. "We obviously have a lot of outlets for all our content, both over the air, cable, digital, dot‑com, et cetera," he said. "Our plans are to fulfill the interests of NASCAR fans who watch all our news and information programming, and I can tell you I personally have already been involved in our planning for coverage for the Daytona 500 in 2015 next year." ESPN will air the season's last two races -- this weekend's event from Phoenix International Raceway that will determine the four drivers contending for the championship, as well as the Championship Round finale in Homestead-Miami Speedway on Nov. 16. "When we last left you Sunday night at Texas, all hell was breaking loose at the race track, and you know, no one knows what's going to happen this week going into Phoenix," Feinberg said. "But with eight drivers separated by only 18 points and none of the finalists determined yet, tune in … because I think it's going to be one heck of a show and one heck of a shootout. That's our focus and we're really, really looking forward to it." MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Get the latest Ricky Stenhouse Jr news, media, stats, and standings for the NASCAR Nationwide Series driver only on the official site of NASCAR.
Get the latest Ricky Ehrgott news, media, stats, and standings for the NASCAR Nationwide Series driver only on the official site of NASCAR.
Irregularity found in pre-qualifying inspection of No. 17 car at Homestead MORE: NASCAR penalizes No. 17 team RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today NASCAR announced penalties on Tuesday to the No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing team of Ricky Stenhouse Jr . after rear-end suspension parts were confiscated by NASCAR before Coors Light Pole Qualifying on Friday at Homestead-Miami Speedway . The infraction is a P3 level penalty, meaning it tends to fall between serious and intermediate in nature. The infraction violates section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 20-12 (suspension: all front end and rear suspension mounts and mounting hardware must not allow movement or realignment of any suspension/drive line component beyond normal rotation or suspension/drive line travel). In addition, crew chief Mike Kelley was fined $50,000 and placed on NASCAR probation for six months, starting Jan. 1, 2015 through June 30, 2015. Additionally, car chief Patrick Magee was also placed on NASCAR probation for the same six month period as Kelley. Officials at the track said the parts were taken in a Friday inspection before qualifying for the season-ending Ford EcoBoost 400 . Stenhouse started and finished 22nd in the 2014 finale. Stenhouse's sophomore campaign in the Sprint Cup Series saw him finish 27th in the point standings, with five top-10 finishes and a failure to qualify for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Talladega Superspeedway . MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Watch as Tony Stewart must accept Big ( Ricky Craven ) and Little (Hermie Sadler) Enos' challenge of delivering 400 bottles of Mobil 1 to Texarkana. For more videos log on to: https://www.facebook.com/mobil1
10 years ago, Ricky Craven and Kurt Busch raced their way into one of the greatest finishes in NASCAR history.
Driver of the No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing Ford fails to make GEICO 500 field MORE: Sunday's starting lineup RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Changes to NASCAR's qualifying format for the GEICO 500 at Talladega Superspeedway produced a number of surprises, not the least of which was the failure of Ricky Stenhouse Jr . to earn a starting berth in the 43-car field. The Roush Fenway Racing driver was one of three that failed to earn a starting position based on his qualifying speed -- Justin Allgaier and Reed Sorenson also failed to post times fast enough to crack the top 36 here Saturday at Talladega Superspeedway . Sorenson ( Tommy Baldwin Racing ), 36th fastest in the opening round, was eventually added to the lineup after Joe Nemechek 's No. 29 Toyota failed post-qualifying inspection. "I didn't consider the fact that our position in points would leave us in jeopardy," Roush Fenway Racing co-owner Jack Roush said afterward. "That was a blind side on my part. It's unfortunate we weren't in a better place in points, and that we had as many good cars as we did that didn't qualify based on time. It's just unbelievable that we didn't get on the race track in time to get a lap there." Stenhouse has made 72 starts in Sprint Cup competition, including 67 in a row since moving up to the series full time a year ago. He made five starts between 2011-12 while winning back-to-back championships in NASCAR's Nationwide Series . His team's DNQ was the result of several things, from Saturday's slow qualifying speed to his team's position in the owner points standings. During the first round, Stenhouse posted a speed of 176.947 mph, just 43rd overall for the round. While unfortunate, under normal circumstances, he would have been one of several slotted into the field in one of the seven remaining positions available based on owner points. But because seven drivers higher in owner points failed to crack the top 36 (Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin , Kevin Harvick , Joey Logano , Kyle Busch , Kyle Larson and Jeff Gordon ), Stenhouse Jr. wasn't able to secure one of those starting spots. NASCAR determines its 43-car lineup based on the following: positions 1-36 are awarded based solely on lap times. Positions 37-43 are awarded based on a team's rank in the owner standings, and assigned positions based on their lap times. (If a former champion fails to post a speed in the top 36, he may be assigned the 43rd position, if his team isn't high enough in the owners' points standings to receive one of those berths.) NASCAR made changes to the qualifying format for Talladega, with teams split into two groups for the first round, and limiting the time of the round to five minutes. The latter change meant teams would likely get one opportunity to post a qualifying run with no time to return to pit road, allow their cars to cool and return to the track should it be necessary. Stenhouse was last in line in a group of cars that included Gordon and Harvick making their qualifying laps in the first round. But when Gordon slowed (to create a gap between his group and another group ahead of the pack), it slowed those behind him. Because they didn't get back to the start/finish line in time, they were unable to post another lap. "I thought being the last car in line would be beneficial for us," Stenhouse said. "We had Jeff Gordon leading the pack there; I thought we would have a good shot at putting a good lap in, but my spotter was telling me '‘hey, you have 30 seconds to get across the start/finish line' as we were entering Turn 3. "I don't guess the 24’s (spotter) was giving him a lot of information. He kept slowing the pack down and we didn't get a good lap and never got across the start/finish line in time. "My spotter was giving me the information I needed and I wish the 24 would have been doing the same." Stenhouse later tweeted the following: All I got tough day pic.twitter.com/4KWEFvpmQ9 — Ricky Stenhouse Jr . (@StenhouseJr) October 18, 2014 Gordon said the qualifying plan "was shot before the plan started." "I messed up ultimately," the Hendrick Motorsports driver said. "I just mistimed getting to the line. The whole group was going so slow I knew I had to have a gap and when I came across the line I thought I had enough (time) to be able to complete that lap and get one more, which was the only way we were going to make it. "But we came up short. It's a mess out there. It's not easy." It was the second time this season a driver from the RFR stable failed to qualify for a Sprint Cup race. A week ago at Charlotte Motor Speedway , Nationwide Series regular Trevor Bayne was unable to qualify for the Bank of America 500 in a fourth RFR entry fielded just for that race. Roush, whose organization also fields Sprint Cup entries for drivers Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards , didn't blame the qualifying format for the setback. "We just didn't get on the race track fast enough and I'm not sure who actually made that call. I'm not sure if it was left up to Ricky or the spotter or (crew chief) Mike Kelley," Roush said. "It's my responsibility to make sure we execute our program so we have a chance to qualify. We clearly didn't do it here and that's an oversight." MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule FULL CHASE COVERAGE • Chase hub page • Chase Grid games • #MyChaseNation
Robin Pemberton: 'It really is such a small, minute deal that it's fine' RELATED: Follow your picks in the Chase Battle Grid Presented by Toyota HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- The presence of Hendrick Motorsports representatives was requested at the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series hauler after Sunday's season finale for disobeying a NASCAR directive. Doug Duchardt, executive vice president and general manager of Hendrick Motorsports, and Chad Knaus, crew chief for the team's No. 48 Chevrolet and six-time series champion Jimmie Johnson , were among those called to the hauler at Homestead-Miami Speedway . Though a summons to the NASCAR garage's version of the principal's office usually carries a certain amount of gloom and doom, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Competition and Racing Development Robin Pemberton said the discussion was no monumental dust-up. "We just had a discussion on pit road between our official and Chad and really it was just to discuss what they tried to do," Pemberton said. "That's it, really. It was really not a big deal. We were just trying to clarify what went on, that's all." FYI: CK put a wheel spacer on because of a loose wheel. That destroys the threads on the studs & won't let the wheel tighten up #ChillHaters — Jimmie Johnson (@JimmieJohnson) November 17, 2014 Duchardt said that the disagreement centered on whether Knaus' crew was allowed to place a wheel spacer on the No. 48 Chevy. "During one of the pit stops, we had a loose wheel and Chad wanted to put a wheel spacer on to help the threads on the back … you hurt the threads of the tire with a loose wheel," Duchardt said. "Chad wanted to put a wheel spacer on, they told him not to, he said he wanted to so we didn't have another loose wheel and that was the misunderstanding. Then we talked about it, and that was that." Duchardt said that adding a wheel spacer was "a common situation," but Pemberton would not say whether the maneuver was a violation of NASCAR rules. "I'm not going to get into the weeds on that, but sometimes if you thought you had an issue with a wheel stud or something mechanical like that, you may need to put a spacer on to get some clean threads for the lug nuts," Pemberton said. "I have no idea, and that's not our question. It really is such a small, minute deal that it's fine. Everything's good." Pemberton said there would be no penalties or further action taken by NASCAR officials, adding that had Knaus asked permission to place the wheel spacer, the disagreement would have blown over. "That would be a better way to do that, but in the heat of the battle, it's fine," Pemberton said. "Everything's fine. It's so far under that, it's ridiculous. We're good." Pemberton added that the race officials' decision to park the GoFAS Racing No. 32 entry driven by Blake Koch was for "disobeying a directive from the (race control) tower." Koch's car played a role in the final two caution periods in the Ford EcoBoost 400 , first in a two-car crash with J.J. Yeley and the second for dropping debris. Pemberton also said that a review of the rear suspension parts that officials confiscated from the Roush Fenway Racing No. 17 Ford driven would begin Monday at the NASCAR Research & Development Center in Concord, North Carolina. NASCAR officials found the issue on Ricky Stenhouse Jr .'s car during a Friday inspection ahead of Coors Light Pole Qualifying. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL CHASE COVERAGE • Chase hub page • Chase Grid games • #MyChaseNation
Pre-qualifying rules infraction results in P3 penalty MORE: NASCAR penalizes No. 17 team RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.— The No. 17 team that competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has been penalized for a rules infraction discovered during pre-qualifying inspection Nov. 14 at Homestead-Miami Speedway . This infraction is a P3 level penalty which is outlined in Section 12-4.3 of the 2014 NASCAR rule book: Violations resulting in P3 penalties tend to fall between serious and intermediate in nature. While they might include general “categories” of infractions similar to those in P4 (e.g. unauthorized parts; failing to meet specs; etc.), they tend to pertain more to secondary componentry or systems; modifications of lessor significance; go/no-go measurement failures of an intermediate nature. This infraction violates Sections: 12-1 - Actions detrimental to stock car racing; 20-12 – Suspension: All front end and rear suspension mounts and mounting hardware must not allow movement or realignment of any suspension/drive line component beyond normal rotation or suspension/drive line travel. As a result of these violations, crew chief Mike Kelley has been fined $50,000 and placed on NASCAR probation for six months starting Jan. 1, 2015 through June 30, 2015. Additionally, car chief Patrick Magee has also been placed on NASCAR probation for six months starting Jan. 1, 2015 through June 30, 2015. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule