Busch says he hasn't 'spoken to' older brother regarding domestic abuse allegations RELATED: Monday's best quotes from the Charlotte Media Tour CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Kyle Busch said Monday that he has steered clear of involving himself in older brother Kurt's recent legal issues, even though reporting mistakes have confused the two. Kurt Busch has been the center of an investigation for allegations of domestic assault by the Dover (Del.) Police Department since November, two months after an alleged incident took place at Dover International Speedway . The elder Busch has not commented on the incident or investigation, except through court testimony or statements from his attorney, Rusty Hardin. The younger Busch , speaking Monday at the Joe Gibbs Racing portion of the Charlotte Motor Speedway Media Tour, said that he has taken a hands-off approach to the developments. "Haven't spoken to him," Kyle Busch said. "Don't know nothing and I'm trying to stay away from it all and let him handle his business. "Obviously, it's got to be painful for him and you don't ever want to see anybody go through this sort of thing, but I don't know. Besides not wanting to get too far involved in it, that's about all I want to say." But the younger brother has been indirectly involved through erroneous reporting. Kyle Busch said he bristled at seeing his name attached to tweets or reports concerning the case. "I think it's stupid," he said. "I think people need to do a little bit more background before they write names or say names if they don't know what the heck they are talking about. It's not that hard to differentiate between two people that have the same last name. I think people need to do a better job and not be so slackish." FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
SHR driver discusses upcoming season CHARLOTTE, N.C. – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kurt Busch says he's had no problem focusing on preparations for the upcoming racing season in spite of an on-going case involving domestic assault that continues to hang over the 2004 premier series champion. "I feel great," Busch , 36, said Tuesday during the annual Charlotte Motor Speedway media tour. "It's easy to be here and stand on truth and have all the people and support from behind the scenes this offseason." Ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll submitted a request for a no-contact order late last year, accusing Busch of physical harm during a race weekend in Dover, Del., last September. No decision has been made concerning the protective order request and the Delaware state attorney general's office has yet to rule on the alleged altercation. Until action is taken on those two issues, Busch will continue to prepare for the upcoming season, his second with Stewart-Haas Racing . "I'm a racer. I love to go race … that's the easy part and that's where the focus stays," Busch said. "When you have things going on in the offseason, that's the best time for different things to happen in your life and to make those changes. It's good to start moving forward and get a resolution to that." A recent Goodyear tire test at Las Vegas Motor Speedway , he said, was a good way to not only get the new season started, but to turn the attention away from the on-going controversy. "To put the helmet on, belt in and go out there and go 200 mph, that's the best feeling in the world,' he said. "It seems quieter out there (on the track); it's an amazing feeling. When you put the helmet on it all seems quiet and you're the only one out there." Team co-owner Gene Haas has continued to stand behind his driver, but admitted he has considered the possibility of an unfavorable ruling against Busch . "I've run that around in my mind a million times," Haas said, "and I don't know. I think we have to wait and see. "The authorities are going to have an opinion about what they're going to do, and I have a feeling it's going to be something that no one expects, you know what I'm saying? … We have to kind of see what they come back with before we can respond." To do otherwise, he said, would be a waste of time. "We just don't want to speculate and add more fuel to the ol' fire," he said. FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Get the latest Kurt Busch news, media, stats, and standings for the NASCAR Nationwide Series driver only on the official site of NASCAR.
Get the latest Kurt Busch news, media, stats, and standings for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver only on the official site of NASCAR.
Can SHR driver build off late-season momentum following crew chief change? MORE: Full schedule of season previews Team: Stewart-Haas Racing No. 41 Chevrolet Rank in final standings: 12th Wins: 1 ( Martinsville Speedway in March) Year in photos: Kurt Busch 2014 highlights Strides: Busch's first season with Stewart-Haas produced quick results with a stirring drive to victory at Martinsville, where he fended off track master Jimmie Johnson in the closing laps. The triumph, which snapped a career-worst 83-race dry spell, secured an early reservation for Busch in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup playoffs. Busch also showed his versatility by becoming just the fourth driver to compete in the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. He wowed the IndyCar crowd with a competitive sixth-place finish as a rookie at the Brickyard, but wound up 40th at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the stock-car nightcap after engine failure. "It seemed as if it took us a little bit to get the newness settled in and once we got rolling, we surprised ourselves with a win early on," Busch said. "But the summer months is when it seemed to just start to click. It felt like home. We found some strengths, found some weaknesses and I think we've made our 2014 the best that it could be and that 2015 will be even better." Setbacks: While summer marked an uptick in Busch's results, the springtime doldrums after his Martinsville victory took its toll on his stature in the Sprint Cup standings. The former series champion failed to finish four of the next six races, triggering an eight-position drop in the points. Though the regular-season deficit was sizable, Busch started on virtually equal footing after the points reset before the Chase's Challenger Round. Though he started with a solid eighth-place run in the Chicagoland Speedway opener, finishes of 36th and 18th in the races that followed eliminated him from title contention. Quoteworthy: "I thought it was great season, to have a win and to run consistently through the summer months and to be in position in the Chase, there's a lot of football teams that make the playoffs and they get eliminated first round even after a great season. You have to be hot when it counts, and that's in the Chase, and we didn't get the job done during the Chase to advance through the rounds. We posted some good top-10 finishes; those aren't enough in the Chase. You've got to go after those top-fives and those wins, and that's what we've got to do next year with the Haas Automation Chevrolet." What's next: Busch played a prominent role in Stewart-Haas' expansion to a four-car operation in 2014 as the team added two new faces -- his and eventual Sprint Cup champion Kevin Harvick 's -- to the driver lineup. Heading into this season, the driver roster remains intact, but a crew chief shake-up has Busch's hopes up for 2015. For the final three races last year, SHR shifted Daniel Knost over to the No. 10 team with Danica Patrick , moving veteran Tony Gibson over to Busch's No. 41 Chevy. The brief audition for next year offered glimpses of promise with finishes of eighth, seventh and 11th to close out the season. "It's hard not to be too excited," Busch said. "It was a great three-race stretch of an average finish of 8.7 -- that's the average finish that it takes to be competitive week in and week out on the NASCAR circuit. Could we have made the change sooner? I would've loved to have, to try to capitalize on 2014, but it just gives us so much motivation and inspiration for what next year can bring us." FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Driver of the No. 3 Chevrolet on second season: 'We need to be in the Chase' Play: NASCAR Fantasy Live CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Around this time last year, Austin Dillon 's blood pressure was rising. The then-defending NASCAR XFINITY Series champion was a few short weeks away from beginning his rookie season in the Sprint Cup Series -- the big leagues -- but even more cold-sweat-inducing was the car number that would be adorned on the side of his Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet: NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Earnhardt's legendary No. 3. With his second season upon him and his rookie stripe removed, Dillon exuded an aura of confidence, put-togetherness and relaxation on Thursday at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Media Tour presented by Technocom -- at least for now. "There's a lot of pressure any time you move to a new series," said Dillon, who immediately backed off the naysayers by winning the Coors Light Pole Award ahead of the 2014 Daytona 500 . "Having the 3, there's so many fans behind it and it was a great year to go through. Nothing crazy happened. This year, I think we've got to start getting crazy. We've got to start making things happen. "When I say that, we need to be in the Chase; we need to be part of the chaos at the end of the year. I want to put more pressure on (myself) and you can more focus on the competition side of things. … People know how we approached that first year; I think we did it right. Now it's time to make fire and go fast." A big part of how Dillon and returning crew chief Gil Martin are trying to improve is in preparation, not only physically -- which he's determined to stay on top of -- but also mentally. "Mentally, it's having more days at the shop. … Knowing what we're going to do when we go through practices so we can be more organized with practices," Dillon said. "We were able to really scramble at certain points through the year and make our cars good when we struggled in practice. I think preparation this year, we want to be ready for those changes. We don't want to be behind where we have to make a long shot or a Hail Mary at something. ... I think that's one thing that I've really told Gil and my guys. I want them to stay on me to stay focused and push me." Dillon mentioned that a number of sponsorship appearances and NASCAR events having to do with the famous car number pulled him away from the health-conscious steps he took last offseason to get ready for his rookie year. He and his team have taken this into consideration, working diligently to keep Dillon and the No. 3 team on a more even-keeled schedule throughout November. It should allow Dillon to maintain his consistency -- his average finish of 17.5 ranked 15th in the series among full-time drivers, ahead of Chase drivers Kyle Busch , Kasey Kahne , Kurt Busch , AJ Allmendinger and Aric Almirola -- the same consistency that projected Ryan Newman to the Championship 4, 50 yards shy of a title. That consistency also came in the form of completing 10,488 of 10,541 laps (99.5 percent), the second-most in the series. The 24-year-old is also scheduled to run 20 XFINITY Series races in 2015, which he believes will help him figure out the ins-and-outs of his Cup ride. The new technical packages for Sprint Cup cars in 2015 is much more closely aligned with NASCAR's second series than in years past. There's a lot for Dillon to build on for 2015 and a Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup berth is not out of the question. With the initial attention around the No. 3 car's return now mostly a thing of the past, it should allow the RCR driver to stay steady throughout the year and keep his head down. "The good thing is, we had a decent year last year, but when you can find places to improve, and you know where those are, you should be able to take those and make them better," Dillon said. "I think that's what I've been able to do the last couple of years when we go from say, rookie year in Trucks or ( XFINITY ), then second year and you win a championship." "I'm not saying we're going to go out there and win a championship, but that's our goal. I think we can, and what Ryan and Luke (Lambert, No. 31 crew chief) were able to do, I think me and Gil want to accomplish that -- have a shot at the end of the year." MORE: Newman eager to build on last season's gains FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Following up teammate Kurt Busch's attempt isn't in the cards
The F-Post’s Matthew Dillner and a few vengeful members of the media take advantage of the opportunity to tank Kurt Busch in a State Water Heaters dunk tank.
Brian France: 'It wouldn't be right of us to just intervene' HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said league officials will allow an investigation involving driver Kurt Busch to run its course before responding or reacting to allegations of domestic assault, despite calls from a U.S. Representative to park the former premier series champion. Busch , who won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title in 2004, is under investigation by the Dover (Del.) Police Department for an allegation of assault filed Nov. 5 by Patricia Driscoll. Driscoll is Busch's former girlfriend and president of the Armed Forces Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit group. Congresswoman Jackie Speier (D-California) has contacted NASCAR officials, as well as officials with Stewart-Haas Racing , the team for which Busch drives, asking that the 36-year-old Busch be suspended for the remainder of the season. The series wraps up its 2014 schedule here at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday. "We are watching that case carefully … it's under review by law enforcement and others, and they have not made a decision on that regarding Kurt ," France said Friday during a press conference at the 1.5-mile track. "So until they make some judgments on that investigation, it wouldn't be right of us to just intervene before they've even gotten the investigation completed. So that's our position. We'll respect their process. It's in their hands." France said he had not spoken with Busch , although there have been conversations between officials of the sanctioning body and the driver. That a member of Congress has spoken out about NASCAR's lack of action, he said, is not cause for alarm. "It's a very sensitive topic today," France said. "Rightfully so. And so (it's) not surprising that some members of Congress and other leaders might have some strong views on what we should and shouldn't do. "But as I said, we'll stay the course, let the investigation be completed, and then we'll react." Gene Haas, co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, said last week that there are no plans to remove his driver from the team's No. 41 Chevrolet. "He'll be in the car until someone else pulls him out," Haas said. "I'm not pulling him out." MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Kurt Busch loses momentum and is spun by Clint Bowyer on the first G-W-C attempt at Darlington Raceway.