- Did you mean:
John Wes Townley apologizes for Gateway fight
RELATED: Townley , Gallagher fight at Gateway NASCAR driver John Wes Townley has issued an apology for his involvement in an on-track altercation a week ago during a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, Illinois. Townley was fined $15,000 and placed on probation through Dec. 31, 2016 for his involvement in the altercation with fellow driver Spencer Gallagher during the Drivin for Lineman 200. Gallagher was fined $12,500 and placed on probation through the end of the year. "I want to apologize to NASCAR and my fans," Townley said in the statement. "That's not the way I want to represent myself, (sponsor) Zaxby's or Jive Communications. I'll try my best to make sure it never happens again." The drivers were involved in two separate incidents during the race. The first contact brought out the caution flag on Lap 145 of the 160-lap race. Approximately 10 laps later, they were involved in a second incident, which eventually brought the race under the red flag. Following the second incident, both drivers climbed from their respective trucks and approached one another, with Townley then grabbing Gallagher around the head and wrestling him to the ground. Townley tried several times to punch Gallagher as the pair stood on the lower portion of the racing surface as the fracas continued. Originally scheduled to compete in this weekend's NASCAR XFINITY Series race for Athenian Motorsports at Daytona International Speedway , Townley , 26, and the team eventually withdrew the entry. "Honestly, we went into this season with our sights set on running strong in the Truck Series and ARCA," Townley said. "We've always said that. And we, as a team, don't need to overlook those goals. ... But considering that we have a Truck race (at Kentucky Speedway ) and an ARCA race next week (at Iowa Speedway ), we felt it was better to pour our time and resources into getting ready for next week." Gallagher, who is competing at Daytona this weekend, issued a statement on Monday, June 27, apologizing to Townley . "Additionally, to his team and fans, I am sorry," Gallagher said. "The incident earlier in the race was not intentional and certainly was not meant to cause bigger problems later in the event. "My crew, who have worked so hard to get me to where I am this season, did not deserve to have their night ended in that way. My teammates and all of the guys back at the shop deserve more respect than was shown Saturday night." Gallagher said he was "ashamed" he was involved in an incident "that has allowed so many to view what we do in a negative light." Townley , currently 18th in points, has one career win in the Truck Series in 101 career starts. He is winless in 76 attempts in the XFINITY Series. Gallagher, 26, is winless in 44 career starts in the Truck Series and four in the XFINITY Series. He is 11th in points in the Truck Series.
John Wes Townley sitting out Eldora race with possible concussion
Concord, N.C. (July 18, 2016) – John Wes Townley remains under treatment for a possible concussion and will not compete in Wednesday night's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Eldora Speedway. ARCA competitor Brady Boswell will drive the No. 05 Zaxby's/Jive Communications Chevrolet at Eldora for Townley . The 19-year-old Boswell, like Townley , is a resident of Watkinsville, Georgia. Both drivers are graduates of North Oconee High School in Bogart, Georgia. Veteran driver and NASCAR on NBC analyst Parker Kligerman will substitute for Townley in Friday night's ARCA Sioux Chief PowerPEX 200 presented by Jive at Lucas Oil Raceway. Townley is scheduled to be re-evaluated by his physician July 25, when he anticipates gaining medical clearance to return to competition in ARCA and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series for events next week at Pocono Raceway.
John Wes Townley cleared to compete at Pocono Raceway
Concord, N.C. (July 26, 2016) – John Wes Townley received medical clearance earlier today to resume racing in NASCAR and ARCA. He will compete in this weekend's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and ARCA events at Pocono Raceway. Townley had been sidelined for the past four weeks while being treated for mild concussion-like symptoms. "I'd like to thank Parker Kligerman, Cole Custer and Brady Boswell for filling in for me," Townley said. "I feel great and I’m looking forward to racing at Pocono this week."
John Wes Townley ruled out for Texas race
John Wes Townley will miss Friday night's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway because of an injured left ankle, according to a team release. Cody Coughlin will replace Townley in the No. 05 Zaxby's Chevrolet for the Striping Technology 350 at 8:30 p.m ET (FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). The team classified the injury as non-racing related. "I want to wish John Wes a speedy recovery and hope he's back at the track soon,” Coughlin said in a team release. "I'm honored that Athenian Motorsports thought of me to drive their truck this weekend." Coughlin has nine starts this year in the Truck Series for Kyle Busch Motorsports, including a season-best 12th-place finish in June at Texas.
John Wes Townley to Wauters Motorsports for 2014
Townley finished 11th in points last season and had seven top-10 finishes
Possible concussion sidelines Townley at Kentucky
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series competitor John Wes Townley will not compete as scheduled in Thursday's truck series race because he is undergoing treatment for a "possible concussion," his team said in a statement Wednesday. Townley's No. 05 Jive Communications Chevrolet will be driven by Parker Kligerman this week at Kentucky Speedway. A team release announced the news without further detail. It said Townley is hopeful to return to the seat of his truck for the July 20 race at the Tony Stewart-owned Eldora Speedway in Ohio. Townley was involved in a physical altercation with Spencer Gallagher during the truck race at Gateway Motorsports Park two weeks ago. Townley was fined $15,000 by NASCAR for his actions. He publicly apologized. Gallagher also apologized for his role in the confrontation. He was fined $12,500 for his actions. Both drivers were placed on probation until Dec. 31. "I want to apologize to NASCAR and my fans," Townley said after the fine. "That's not the way I want to represent myself, Zaxby's or Jive Communications. I'll try my best to make sure it never happens again." Townley was planning to compete in last Friday's XFINITY race in Daytona Beach, but withdrew, saying he was focusing on this week's truck and ARCA race.
Townley , Gallagher penalized post-Gateway
RELATED: Watch the incident from Gateway NASCAR penalized drivers John Wes Townley and Spencer Gallagher on Wednesday for their roles in an incident in Saturday night's Camping World Truck Series race at Gateway Motorsports Park . After a review of the on-track altercation and ensuing physical quarrel in the Drivin for Linemen 200 , competition officials fined Townley $15,000 and assessed Gallagher a $12,500 fine. Both of the drivers have been placed on probation until Dec. 31. The two drivers collided in the 145 of 200 laps Saturday night, with Gallagher's GMS Racing No. 23 Chevrolet sending Townley's No. 05 Athenian Motorsports Chevy for a spin in Turn 1. The two made contact again 10 laps later in the same turn, leaving both trucks with heavy damage after impact with the outside retaining wall. After both drivers exited their trucks unhurt, a brief verbal spat escalated to a wrestling match on the track with Townley landing a smattering of punches before the two were separated. Gallagher finished 22nd and Townley 23rd in the 32-truck field. Among other penalties announced Wednesday, the teams of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr . and Matt Kenseth received written warnings for failing pre-qualifying inspection at Sonoma Raceway. The Joe Gibbs Racing No. 20 Toyota team for Kenseth was issued a warning for failing two trips through the Laser Inspection Station (LIS) before Coors Light Pole Qualifying. The Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 Chevrolet team of Earnhardt failed body template inspection twice before Friday's Sonoma qualifying.
Townley , Gallagher incident will have 'repercussions'
RELATED: See the incident that happened at Gateway The potential penalty phase for Saturday night's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series altercation between Spencer Gallagher and John Wes Townley is scheduled this week, with NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O'Donnell saying that repercussions were likely. O'Donnell's remarks came Monday during a guest appearance on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio's "The Morning Drive" program.
Drivers react to Townley -Gallagher scrap
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Gateway Motorsports Park started late due to weather, and ended late due to a handful of red flags. NASCAR drivers stayed up to watch the event on FS1, though, and were quick to chime in on Twitter when drivers John Wes Townley and Spencer Gallagher scrapped on the track following a wreck. Here's what they said: Well @JWTownley is now officially my newest hero. It's about time someone had the balls to do what they thought was right — Tony Stewart (@TonyStewart) June 26, 2016 Not sure, fighting to me is not acceptable in motorsport. https://t.co/qrebLHPLOP — Brad Keselowski (@keselowski) June 26, 2016 My next fight. pic.twitter.com/RfZfhITbBV — Ryan Blaney (@Blaney) June 26, 2016 Let um fight it out love it!! That's what our sport was built on the drivers emotions!! #nascar — Ricky Stenhouse Jr . (@StenhouseJr) June 26, 2016 I'll take that little skirmish all day over drivers just bitching on Twitter. — Tanner Berryhill (@tannerberryhill) June 26, 2016 Sometimes you have just had enough.. pic.twitter.com/LQU2Ybgz1Z — Rodney Childers (@RodneyChilders4) June 26, 2016 Short tracks get tempers hot. — Jeb Burton (@JebBurtonRacing) June 26, 2016
Bowman to sub for Townley in Indy XFINITY race
Second start in the No. 25 for Tommy Baldwin Racing Sprint Cup driver Athenian Motorsports announced Thursday that Alex Bowman will replace John Wes Townley in the team's No. 25 Chevrolet for Saturday's NASCAR XFINITY Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. According to a release provided by the team, Townley aggravated a non-racing-related injury during Wednesday night's Camping World Truck Series race at Eldora Speedway. The team said Townley was treated and released from the infield care center after finishing 14th in the 1-800-Car-Cash Mud Summer Classic, the truck tour's third annual race on dirt. Bowman, a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series regular, is scheduled to make his second XFINITY start this season in Athenian's No. 25 in Saturday's Lilly Diabetes 250 (3:30 p.m. ET, NBC, IMS Radio, SiriusXM). The 22-year-old driver also took a fill-in role in June at Michigan International Speedway, when Townley was competing in the Truck Series' event at Iowa Speedway. Townley , 25, has entered 12 of the XFINITY Series' 17 events this season. He ranks fifth in the driver standings in the Camping World Truck Series, where he competes full-time. Athenian said in its release that Townley expects to recuperate in time for the series' next race, the Pocono Mountains 150 (Aug. 1, 1 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1, MRN, SiriusXM) at Pocono Raceway. FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule