Charlotte Motor Speedway schedule, news, media, tickets, and information for the NASCAR Nationwide Series track only on the official site of NASCAR.
Charlotte Motor Speedway schedule, news, media, tickets, and information for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series track only on the official site of NASCAR.
Four drivers to take part in two-day test on Dec. 9-10 The official start of the 2015 NASCAR season is more than two months away, but four Sprint Cup Series teams will be back on the track next week at Charlotte Motor Speedway . Goodyear officials have schedule a tire test for Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 9-10 at the 1.5-mile speedway , with representatives from each of the three auto manufacturers scheduled to participate. Slated to take part in the test are drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr . ( Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 Chevrolet), Sam Hornish Jr . ( Richard Petty Motorsports No. 9 Ford) and Carl Edwards ( Joe Gibbs Racing No. 19 Toyota). One of three entries from Richard Childress Racing will participate as well although RCR officials declined to confirm which team would be involved. The organization fields Chevrolet teams for drivers Austin Dillon , Paul Menard and Ryan Newman . It will be the first official on-track effort for Edwards since the 35-year-old departed Roush Fenway Racing to join JGR as well as the first for Hornish with RPM. Both will be working with new crew chiefs – Hornish, who replaces Marcos Ambrose , will be paired with crew chief Drew Blickensderfer; Edwards will also be working with his new crew chief, Dave Rogers. Also paired with a new crew chief will be Earnhardt Jr. Greg Ives, who helped guide JR Motorsports driver Chase Elliott to the NASCAR Nationwide Series title, moves over to the No. 88 entry to replace Steve Letarte. Ives worked briefly with Earnhardt during a late-October Sprint Cup test session at Homestead-Miami Speedway . Earnhardt mentioned the upcoming test during a chat on Team Chevy's Twitter handle. . @24885 haven't done much testing yet. We test in Charlotte on Tuesday and Wednesday. ^JR #AskDale88 — Team Chevy (@TeamChevy) December 2, 2014 Goodyear officials are looking to get a baseline for how the 2015 NASCAR rules package for intermediate tracks – which includes a reduction in horsepower as well as less downforce – impacts tire wear. With NASCAR banning private testing for 2015, such tire tests are expected to make up the bulk of the on-track time for teams outside of race weekend activities. Fans will be allowed to attend the test, according to CMS vice president of communications Scott Cooper. The track will open its fifth floor clubhouse seating. Fans can enter the second floor ticket office and take the elevator to the fifth floor between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. It is expected that many of those tests could be intertwined with open tests for all NASCAR teams, although the process for how that will work has yet to be announced. Greg Stucker, director of race tire sales for Goodyear, said last month that officials had been trying to map out a plan to allow each of the parties involved to "get their work done" during such opportunities while still reducing the number of overall tests. "NASCAR’s got their 2015 package already drawn in the sand," Richard "Slugger" Labbe, director of research and development at RCR, said Tuesday on Sirius XM NASCAR’ Radio's "Morning Drive" show. "That's what we're doing and at Charlotte next week … we're working on 2015 and 2016 packages. NASCAR's looking into the future, way ahead of anything they've ever done in the past. So you've got to applaud them for looking into the future and working with teams to make our sport better." To reduce horsepower, tapered spacers such as those currently found in the Nationwide (soon to be XFINITY) and Camping World Truck Series will be used. The change is expected to reduce horsepower from 850 to approximately 725. Roller valve lifters will replace flat valve lifters; lower differential gear ratios (targeting 9,000 RPM) will be in use and the rear spoiler height will be lowered from 8 inches to 6 inches. Also, an adjustable driver track bar will be optional and the size of the radiator pan has been decreased from 43 to 38 inches. Despite having less horsepower, Labbe said speeds weren't noticeably affected during a previous test held at Auto Club Speedway due to the aerodynamic changes included in the package. Goodyear officials have said the next tire test is expected to come in January at Las Vegas Motor Speedway . MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
FORT WORTH, Texas (Feb. 14, 2014) ? Frigid temperatures, snow and ice in North Texas has not slowed construction workers from continued progress on the world's largest HD video board created by Panasonic at Texas Motor Speedway . On Friday, Dallas/Fort Worth media members were led by Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage on a sneak preview of "Big Hoss TV," which is scheduled to be completed by March 1 and officially dedicated during pre-race ceremonies for the Duck Commander 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on Sunday, April 6. Towering 12 stories high over the backstretch is the completed steel framework that will serve as the foundation for "Big Hoss TV." Workers have installed 28 of the 40 LED modules ? each measuring 54.5 feet by 9.5 feet ? that will be placed in 10 rows of four that will serve as record HD display area that measures 218 feet (width) by 94.6 feet (height). Once completed, "Big Hoss TV" will provide fans with 20,633.34 square feet of HD imagery and will be 79 percent larger than the video board at AT&T Stadium (11,520 sf), home of the Dallas Cowboys. It also will surpass current record-holder Charlotte Motor Speedway (16,000 square feet), the Speedway Motorsports, Inc. sister track of Texas Motor Speedway , for the world's largest HD video board at a sporting venue. "This is the largest fan amenity we have ever undertaken in the history of Texas Motor Speedway and it truly should be a game changer in the industry," Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage said. "Panasonic has done a tremendous job in keeping the project on schedule and have their crews working around the clock seven days a week on this enormous undertaking. Given the target completion date of March 1, we're working on a "Big Hoss TV" sneak preview event with a dynamic entertainment element that will be open to the public in mid-March that will be announced soon." "Big Hoss TV" also requires a state-of-the-art control room that is being built and housed adjacent to the timing and scoring booth atop the start/finish line on suite level. The control room houses five servers and two switchers that control the video feed to "Big Hoss TV." The control room operator will have the luxury of choosing from 19 different cameras, 16 of which are operated by two production trucks. Ultimately, the video is broken up into 16 different sections on the video board. The equipment will be manned by a minimum of five individuals which will include producer, director and technical directors. Construction on "Big Hoss TV" began after November's AAA Texas 500 as workers began digging 16 anchor holes 42 feet deep and four feet in diameter for the massive 108-ton structure. "Big Hoss TV" is anchored with 42 feet of steel rebar reinforced in the ground by 20 yards of concrete filled in each of the holes. The strength of the foundation allows for "Big Hoss TV" to sustain winds of 140 miles per hour. Initial construction plans also required workers to install 4,200 feet of 96-strand fiber optic cable that runs from the location of "Big Hoss TV" on the backstretch to the control room in the frontstretch suites. Workers have moved to a seven-day work week the past month to put the finishing touches on the project by the end of the month. The final phase of the project includes completion of the electrical infrastructure inside of the video board, where workers will install electricity and fiber optic connections to each of the 40 LED modules. Workers also will install the final wiring in the control room before they begin to test the lower section of the LED modules early next week. Tickets for the Duck Commander 500 NASCAR doubleheader weekend and the official christening of "Big Hoss TV" are available by calling the Texas Motor Speedway ticket office at (817) 215-8500 or by visiting www.texasmotorspeedway.com . FULL SERIES COVERAGE View all articles View all videos View all photos
Check out all the garage action before the All-Star race from Charlotte Motor Speedway .
Dale Jr. excited to be back, Edwards seen with his new No. 19 and more
SHR does commercial shoot; see Dale Jr. on track
CMS, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina team up RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today The Nationwide Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway this month now has a name: the Drive for the Cure 300 Presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, the speedway announced Wednesday in conjuction with BCBS. The agreement includes a three-year sponsorship of the race. The announcement was made during a press event at the speedway where officials were joined by up to 100 breast cancer survivors to kick off National Breast Cancer Awareness Month by painting the pit road wall pink. The partnership is aimed at raising awareness of breast cancer prevention, detection and treatment. "We are proud to partner with the official health insurance company of Charlotte Motor Speedway , Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, " Marcus Smith, president and general manager of Charlotte Motor Speedway said in a statement. "At the core of both of our companies is a commitment to providing an unparalleled customer experience. We are eager to get to work raising awareness about breast cancer and creating an unforgettable race day experience for fans." The Drive for the Cure 300 is the 30th Nationwide Series race of the season and will air on ESPN2 on Friday, October 10. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Former champs docked for behavioral infractions in post-race fracas MORE: Full coverage of Charlotte incident RELATED: Follow your picks in the Perfect Chase Grid Challenge for chance at $100,000 prize NASCAR issued fines and probations to drivers Brad Keselowski and Tony Stewart on Tuesday for their post-race actions following last Saturday's Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway . Keselowski was fined $50,000 and placed on probation through Nov. 12, a span of the next four races in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup postseason. Officials fined Stewart $25,000 and issued a probation of the same length. The penalties fell under the NASCAR Rule Book headings of Section 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing and 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty -- involved in post-race incidents. Keselowski is the only one of the two drivers eligible for the title in the Chase. His probation is scheduled to expire before the season-ending championship race at Homestead-Miami Speedway . Keselowski clipped Denny Hamlin 's rear bumper on the cool-down lap after the race, later hitting Matt Kenseth 's car after Kenseth had removed his seat belt and HANS safety device. Stewart was also caught up in the round of bumper cars, causing the No. 14 driver to retaliate by backing his car into Keselowski's No. 2, crumpling its front. Keselowski then drove through a garage stall in the Sprint Cup Series garage before parking his car near his hauler. After getting out of his car, members of Hamlin's and Kenseth's teams yelled at Keselowski and his crew. As Keselowski walked between his hauler and his teammate Joey Logano 's hauler, Kenseth ran after Keselowski and things got physical between the two. Eventually, the two were separated by Keselowski's crew chief, Paul Wolfe. Neither Hamlin nor Kenseth were penalized. Keselowski later said that what had him angered at Kenseth was what happened right before the Lap 333 restart. "When he came by he swung at my car and tore the whole right-front off of it," Keselowski said. "When we restarted fifth with no right-front on it, we fell all the way back to 16th and it ruined our day. That gave us a big Chase hurt, which is unfortunate, and then for some reason after the race the 11 stopped in front of me and tried to pick a fight, so I don't know what's up with that. And he swung and hit my car and I figured if we are going to play car wars, I'll join too. You know those guys can dish it out but they can't take it. And I give it back to them and now they want to fight." NASCAR asked for Keselowski to come to its hauler Saturday to speak to officials about what happened. A crew member for Kenseth's No. 20 team, mechanic Jesse Sanders and Kenseth's crew chief, Jason Ratcliff also came in. Keselowski finished in 16th place at Charlotte . He enters Sunday's GEICO 500 at Talladega Superspeedway (2 p.m. ET, ESPN) in 10th place in the Sprint Cup Series points standings. The race is the last chance to advance to the Eliminator Round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL CHASE COVERAGE • Chase hub page • Chase Grid games • #MyChaseNation
Bruce: Did the officials make the right decision? RELATED: Follow your picks in the Perfect Chase Grid Challenge for chance at $100,000 prize "Settle your differences outside the car" seemed to be the essence of the message delivered by NASCAR on Tuesday after the sanctioning body announced fines and probation for drivers Brad Keselowski and Tony Stewart . The two former NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champions were among four competitors involved in separate incidents following the completion of Saturday night's Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway . Keselowski, driver of the Team Penske No. 2 Ford, was fined $50,000 and placed on probation through Nov. 12 for his post-race actions. Stewart, co-owner and driver of the Stewart-Haas Racing No. 14 Chevrolet, was fined $25,000 and also placed on probation through Nov. 12. Both drivers were involved in post-race contact as the field was making its way onto pit road, and that, according to Robin Pemberton, NASCAR senior vice president, competition and racing development, was the reasoning behind the penalties. Drivers were dropping window nets and loosening -- if not unhooking -- safety items such as harnesses and HANS devices. Crewmen, various NASCAR personnel and others were making their way onto pit road. After a 500-mile race that lasted nearly three-and-a-half hours, everyone's guard was down, no different than after the completion of any NASCAR race. When Keselowski drove up and into the side of Kenseth's No. 20 Toyota, and when Stewart put his car in reverse and backed into the front of Keselowski's Ford, the safety of not only drivers but also others in the area was compromised. Pemberton said the penalties "are about maintaining a safe environment following the race. ... The safety of our drivers, crew members, officials and workers is paramount and we will react when that safety could be compromised." Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Denny Hamlin and Matt Kenseth were not penalized, although Kenseth eventually was involved in a physical confrontation with Keselowski. Were the penalties to Keselowski and Stewart justified? Should Kenseth and Hamlin (the latter tracked Keselowski through the garage before the Team Penske driver pulled away after initially stopping in a garage bay) have been punished as well? Contact on pit road after the conclusion of an event can't be tolerated, regardless of whether drivers have begun to unbuckle safety equipment or if they're still seated securely in their cars. Had Keselowski turned Hamlin on the cool-down lap, as he unsuccessfully attempted to do, then continued on into the garage, it is likely NASCAR would not have issued anything more severe than a warning. But to hit other cars once they have begun to come off the track was too dangerous to ignore. And while Stewart may have been reacting to an incident he didn't create, the fact remains that he reacted. If officials found fault with Keselowski's actions, how could they overlook those of Stewart? The cases of Hamlin and Kenseth are less clear, although officials apparently determined Hamlin did nothing malicious or dangerous as he followed Keselowski's car through the garage. Without knowing what evidence they had at their disposal, it's difficult to determine how they came to their decision. Kenseth rushed up and nearly tackled Keselowski, an incident that quickly sent crewmembers and officials rushing in to separate the two drivers. No punches appeared to be thrown, unlike earlier this season when Marcos Ambrose punched Casey Mears following a race at Richmond International Raceway . Both those drivers were fined and placed on probation, Ambrose for the punch and Mears for what officials described as instigating the altercation. Were Kenseth's actions seen as a reaction to Keselowski's earlier contact? The evidence would seem to indicate that was the case, and perhaps reason enough for NASCAR officials to take no action against Kenseth. Such flare-ups weren't unexpected given the nature of this year's Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup format, where drivers and teams must navigate their way through a trio of three-race segments to advance to Homestead-Miami Speedway , where only four of the original 16 will have an opportunity to contend for the championship. Three of the four involved in Saturday night's post-race scrapes -- Keselowski, Kenseth and Hamlin -- are among the 12 still attempting to advance to the next round. The racing on the track and the drivers' emotions have increased substantially under the new format. Officials walk a razor's edge in trying to police such incidents without legislating the passion out of the sport. "We knew that the new Chase format was likely going to raise the intensity level," Pemberton said, "and we want our drivers to continue to be themselves." Did officials make the right call with Tuesday's decision? Fans of the sport either believe they did or did not, depending on where their allegiances lie. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL CHASE COVERAGE • Chase hub page • Chase Grid games • #MyChaseNation