Driver to pilot No. 62 car starting at Atlanta Motor Speedway Play: NASCAR Fantasy Live " Vote: Ultimate Daytona Challenge Brendan Gaughan will be back in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with Premium Motorsports. Gaughan will drive the No. 62 car for the team starting at Atlanta Motor Speedway for The Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 on March 1 (1 p.m. ET, FOX). He will be the team's full-time driver from that point on. Brian Scott will pilot the No. 62 car at Daytona for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 22 (1 p.m. ET, FOX). "We are very excited to have Brendan drive for our team this year, he has a wealth of our experience and I consider him to be a perfect driver to build this time around," Premium Motorsports Managing Member Jay Robinson in a team release. Last week, Premium Motorsports purchased the assets from the No. 36 team of Tommy Baldwin Racing and changed the team's number to 62. The team finished 35th in the final owner standings last season. Zach McGowan will serve as the crew chief for the No. 62 team. He has called 30 races as a crew chief in his career with five coming last season as the pit boss for Tommy Baldwin Racing's part-time No. 37 entry. The team will be making sponsorship announcements as the season progress, according to a release. Gaughan is a veteran of all three NASCAR national series. He has 42 starts in the sport's top series with one top-five finish coming at Talladega in 2004. Gaughan competed last year in the NASCAR XFINITY Series as a full-time driver for Richard Childress Racing. He earned his first two wins in that series in 2014, with victories at Road America and Kentucky. The 39-year-old will be back for another full season at RCR in the XFINITY Series. He also has eight career wins in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. In other Premium Motorsports news, the organization will field a car for Mike Wallace at Daytona. His No. 66 car will have primary sponsorship from Crazy Vapors Company. FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Late pass sends driver to second win of 2014 RELATED: Full race results " Updated series standings SPARTA, Ky. -- Brendan Gaughan capitalized on the opportunity to utilize the high line on the final restart of Saturday night's VisitMyrtleBeach.com 300 at Kentucky Speedway to win his second NASCAR Nationwide Series race of the season. Gaughan , with a three-wide pass, powered around leaders Chase Elliott and Ty Dillon in the closing laps and cleared his competition in Turn 1, allowing him to cruise to an eight-tenths of a second lead over Richard Childress Racing teammate Brian Scott . "I love my restarts," Gaughan said in Victory Lane. "It was an awesome restart. Shane (Wilson, crew chief) kept telling me that lap times were great when everyone did two and we did four (tires), so it took us a while to get back (toward the lead) there, but four Goodyear tires in the end were the difference." On the final restart of the night, Dillon and Elliott battled but forgot about the guy behind them. Gaughan , with a head of steam, used momentum to clear his competition with six laps to go and cruised to his second career series win, and first on an oval. He also won June's road-course race at Road America . Richard Childress Racing swept the top-three finishing positions with Scott second and Dillon finishing third after a dominating performance. Gaughan , 39, credited his Earnhardt Childress Racing engine and transmission for assisting him in his triumph over the much younger Elliott (18) and Dillon (22). "There are great race teams and great young race car drivers, but the old dog still has something left," said Gaughan . Scott was on the verge of netting his first career Nationwide victory, but settled for his best performance of the season after restarting sixth. "I thought it was the right call to take four tires at the end," Scott said. "I restarted sixth and got a good restart and got up to fourth and I thought we were going to win this race. But, unfortunately, we didn't get any long runs and our Shore Lodge Camaro was a little too tight." Dillon, who led 155 laps, said, "I'm sick for my guys. Our Bass Pros Chevy was top-notch. It's a good thing for confidence to lead all those laps, but this hurts for sure." Dillon's dominance would be challenged on Lap 171 when Cody Ware lost an engine. The fifth caution flag of the night proved to be a significant break for the leaders, as they avoided green flag pit stops. On pit road, Dillon exercised a two-tire stop with fuel with Chase Elliott , Michael McDowell and Elliott Sadler also on the same strategy. Racing resumed with Chase Elliott making a valiant effort to overtake the lead from Dillon. He was able to nip ahead of Dillon's No. 3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet, when Eric McClure crashed in Turn 4. With 19 laps to go, Elliott fended off a challenge from Dillon on the initial restart, but his opportunity to stretch his lead would be short-lived, after Regan Smith made contact with Sam Hornish Jr . on Lap 184, sending him hard into the Turn 1 wall. A flawless restart from Elliott allowed the No. 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet to escape the hungry pack behind him. Again, Elliott's gap would be diminished by yet another caution for debris on Lap 190 -- which would prove the difference in the race. Leaving Kentucky, fourth place finisher Elliott holds a 20-point cushion over JR Motorsports teammate Regan Smith in the championship standings with six races remaining. Next up for the NASCAR Nationwide Series is a trip to Dover International Speedway on Sept. 27. Joey Logano is the defending champion. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
Brendan Gaughan manages to make a great save after being bumped by Dylan Kwasniewski.
Veteran has two Nationwide Series wins in 2014 RELATED: Play NASCAR Fantasy Live " Sign up for RaceView today Brendan Gaughan will again be in the NASCAR XFINITY Series (what is now the Nationwide Series ) for the 2015 season, Richard Childress Racing announced on Thursday. Gaughan will be back behind the wheel of the team's No. 62 Chevrolet with sponsorship from South Point Hotel & Casino, which is owned by his family. RCR has been partnered with South Point since the 2012 with Gaughan ran a limited Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series schedule for the team. He ran a full-time Truck Series schedule in 2013 before moving into the Nationwide Series this season. In 2014, Gaughan scored his first career Nationwide Series win with a victory at Road America in June. He followed that up in September with a late surge to grab the win at Kentucky. "Returning to Victory Lane this season has been a big morale booster for not only me but for my team as well," Gaughan said in a team release. "For the remainder of the year we will continue to learn and find things that work to get us a leg up on the competition for next season. I can't wait for next year with the No. 62 RCR team and to contend for the XFINITY Series championship." Gaughan is currently eighth in the 2014 Nationwide Series point standings. MORE: READ: Latest Chase news PLAY: Monitor your Chase Grid Game picks WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule
A colorful Brendan Gaughan discusses the frustration of missing out on Victory Lane.
Brendan Gaughan recalls his move on the final restart of the night as he celebrates his first victory at Kentucky Speedway in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
Josh Berry and Brendan Gaughan wreck in the closing laps at Homestead-Miami setting up a Green-White-Checkered finish.
Brendan Gaughan takes advantage on a late-race restart passing Ty Dillon and Chase Elliott en route to his second victory of the season.
Gaughan earns first win in 98 Nationwide Series starts
Driver out for 'undetermined amount of time' with fractured right leg RELATED: Crafton to sub for Kyle Busch at Daytona " Drivers wish Kyle Busch well DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kyle Busch will miss Sunday's season-opening Daytona 500 after suffering a leg injury during a hard crash Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. Busch was being treated for a compound fracture of the right lower leg and a left mid-foot fracture, and would not compete in the season's biggest event. Busch had successful surgery on his right leg on Saturday night, according to Joe Gibbs Racing, and was resting comfortably. Busch's injuries will "sideline him for an undetermined period of time," according to the team. Matt Crafton will serve as the interim driver for Busch's No. 18 Toyota for the Daytona 500. An interim driver has not been determined for any races beyond the Daytona 500 at this time. On Sunday morning, Ed Laukes, vice president marketing, performance and guest experience for Toyota Motor Sales, said the following in a statement: "Kyle Busch is a key member of our Toyota NASCAR family and it goes without saying that everyone at Toyota and TRD (Toyota Racing Development), U.S.A. has Kyle in their thoughts and prayers. Kyle is as tough a competitor as you'll find in motorsports and I'm confident he'll recover quickly and return to the track with an even greater passion to win. We know fellow Toyota driver Matt Crafton will represent not only Toyota, but Joe Gibbs Racing well in today's Daytona 500." Later Sunday, Busch tweeted from the hospital. Would rather b driving than watching the #Daytona500 but pulling 4 @Matt_Crafton and the No. 18 @mmschocolate team. — Kyle Busch (@KyleBusch) February 22, 2015 Busch's No. 54 Toyota slid across the track and struck the interior wall on Lap 112 of the season-opening NASCAR XFINITY Series event, the Alert Today Florida 300. Busch appeared to begin to climb from his car without assistance, but was placed on a stretcher by emergency personnel shortly after being helped from the car. Busch was transported to nearby Halifax Medical Center moments later. Samantha Busch and team owner Joe Gibbs, along with other team personnel arrived at the track's infield care center on foot, and then boarded golf carts to depart for the hospital. Busch, 29, was expected to scale back his racing activities in the XFINITY and Camping World Truck Series this season. He is the XFINITY series' all-time win leader with 70 career victories; he has 42 wins in the NCWTS. Busch was scheduled to start fourth in Sunday's Daytona 500, the season-opening race for the Sprint Cup Series. The accident took place when there appeared to be contact between Busch and fellow JGR driver Erik Jones. Busch's entry slid across the grass apron just beyond the exit of pit road and slammed the inside wall nose first. There is no SAFER barrier in that location on the 2.5-mile track. In addition to Busch and Jones, J.J. Yeley, Brendan Gaughan , Chase Elliott, Brian Scott, Elliott Sadler, Darrell Wallace Jr., Cale Conley and Jeffrey Earnhardt were caught up in the accident. "Kyle Busch got hurt? I didn't know that," said third-place finisher Ty Dillon. "I don't want to say anything wrong. But I think we're to the point now in NASCAR we should have SAFER barriers at a place like this, we're going so fast. I think we could probably afford it. "I hate to hear anybody in our sport getting hurt. We've advanced so far in safety we shouldn't be having any crazy bad injuries. So I hope he's all right. But, yeah, I know if it was me, I would want a SAFER barrier there if I got hurt in a spot." "We keep running into situations where people find spots that aren't thought of before," said runner-up Chris Buescher. "I think the sport has progressed so far in the safety aspect. We started to take it for granted. But just there's really no room to do that. My opinion, I mean, it needs to be as safe as possible. If that means lining the inside walls as well, it's probably a good idea." Roush Fenway Racing's Ryan Reed won the race to score his first win in the series. MORE: READ: Latest NASCAR news PLAY: Sign up for Fantasy Live WATCH: Latest NASCAR video FOLLOW LIVE: Get RaceView today FULL SERIES COVERAGE • Latest news • Standings • Schedule